Monday, January 19, 2009

Following Through



I haven't written in about two months. It is hard to believe that I haven't followed through on my promise to provide content at least once a week. At first, I believed it to be just a lack of time due to finals and classwork building up, which is true, but it became something more- I just got lazy. Therefore, I apologize to the followers of BreTSA. I need to own up to my procrastination and push myself in the future to follow through on commitments whether they are large or small. Holding ourselves accountable is something that I think people look at closely. No matter if we do screw up socially or professionally- it is the decision to take responsibility that secures our integrity.

In doing this, it makes me wonder why we cease to continue things we love or fail to complete projects that we get so psyched up about starting. I remember starting to paint and did it for a while but failed to really do one each week or so. I enjoy these hobbies and yet still managed to screw it up. How are we supposed to accomplish great things in life that take hard work and contain aspects we dread, when we can't even follow through on things that make us happy?

That said, I pledge that I will start frequent postings again. I've actually got several exciting topics lined up- two months gives you some material, I think.

When I was in Europe recently, I had a conversation with a mother who felt like her grown children didn't need her anymore and that she was moving into a new phase of her life. Our conversation was part of a larger process that I suspect she is still going through. As retirement nears, she can start thinking about what actually makes her happy besides serving her children.Listening to radio dramas, knitting, reading books or traveling- these hobbies have taken different paths and some have been abandoned. You could say that this is her time to pick up these activities that gave her joy, but it won't necessarily be true now- interests and people change. When she was younger, she longed to travel the world- but now she just wants to enjoy life where she is.

Who knows when I will stop writing on this blog? I certainly don't. And I don't expect to keep writing forever. All I know is that it gives me an outlet and I enjoy it now so I want to continue with it (especially with the pressure of some great friends to do so). However, I know that when the time comes, I know it was worth doing-at least for now.

Mission 15:
1)Make a list of tasks or hobbies you have abandoned- and finish/continue at least three of them! You can start making an effort if they do take a while, but at least get back up on the horse.
2) Or research something new and focus on that. You may just love it.

***Also, if you are reading this blog, it would be nice for you to comment/post- I want to hear about any mission you've completed or your thoughts. The purpose of this blog is to connect people through experience. Nothing is too trivial.

3 comments:

C. L. DeMedeiros said...

Awesome blog

C. L. DeMedeiros said...

I think
we think racist
when we see something
that push our botton
but most of people just try to
ignore those things
unless there's a love one around
they can talk about

;)

Anonymous said...

When I first started my blog I was determined to write constantly, but yet I have gone several months without writing on multiple occasions... yet whenever I do manage to write, it makes me feel so much better. I wish you luck on posting more often!